Tuscany is one of the great food and wine destinations of Italy, and, indeed, of the entire world. The scenery is unbelievably beautiful with large tracts of agricultural land, including wheat and sunflower fields, vineyards and olive groves, placed on rolling hills, dotted with cypress trees and criss-crossed by white gravel roads.
So just imagine this: An unforgettable week in southern Tuscany, tasting some exceptional wines, learning how to cook like an Italian from an Italian, visiting some spectacular medieval towns and enjoying sumptuous gourmet meals. All of this while staying in luxurious accommodation in the beautiful Val d'Orcia World Heritage area while in the company of other like minded people. If this sounds interesting then our Food & Wine Experience is for you!
Note: We can cater to almost any food allergy or eating preference on this tour - just let us know beforehand.
A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE :
Our Food & Wine Experiences are unique and include the following:
- Only small groups with a maximum of 8 guests per tour
- 7 nights accommodation at the luxurious BelSentiero villa
- All ground transportation including collection and drop-off at Rome Fiumicino airport
- Two days to visit some famous Montepulciano and Brunello wineries
- Two days for cooking lessons with an Italian cook
- One day to visit local producers (including a local farm)
- A Tuscan BBQ on the last day on the terrace at BelSentiero
- Visits to some great local restaurants including a Michelin starred restaurant
- Stops at the beautiful medieval hill-towns of Montepulciano, Montalcino and Pienza
The following is our detailed Food & Wine Experience itinerary:
We will collect you in the afternoon at Rome Fiumicino airport between 14h00 and 15h00 and take you to the luxurious BelSentiero Estate & Country House in the beautiful Val d'Orcia World Heritage area in southern Tuscany. This will be your home for the week. On arrival at BelSentiero a traditional dinner of dishes from the area will be served.
This is the day to explore the famous noble wines of Montepulciano! First up after breakfast, we will visit a top wine estate near Montepulciano (such as Avignonesi or Boscarelli) for a tour and tasting. Thereafter, lunch will be at a café in the spectacular hilltop town of Montepulciano with its views over the Val d'Chiana and onto Lake Trasimeno. Following lunch we will visit another top Montepulciano wine estate (such as Poliziano or Montemercurio) for another tasting. In the evening dinner will be at one of the great restaurants in the vicinity of BelSenterio.
Today will be spent with Raffaella, a food blogger and cooking instructor, for a class in Italian pasta making. Lunch will consist of the food prepared together with some great wine from the Brunello. Later, in the evening, aperitivo (pre-dinner drinks) and a light dinner will be at the café in the local village.
This day will be used to visit the famous Brunello wine region. First up will be a Brunello tasting at Enoteca la Fortezza in Montalcino. The tasting will focus on some of the top wines to provide a broad appreciation of the wines from the area. This will be followed by lunch in Montalcino. Thereafter, we will visit a wine estate in the Brunello (such as Fattoria Barbi or Castello Banfi). In the evening, dinner will be at a local pizzeria.
Today we have a second cooking class with Raffaella. This time the focus will be on local, seasonal dishes using fresh local ingredients and food products sourced from the region. Again, lunch will consist of the meal prepared together with wine. Later, in the evening, aperitivo and a light dinner will be at the local village café.
In the morning, we will visit the ancient monastery at Abbadia founded in the 700s. Thereafter lunch will be in the picturesque village of Pienza where we will also stop for some of the best gelato in Italy at a local artisanal producer! Afterwards, we will visit a local farm to taste some of the local produce including the pecorino cheeses that have made Pienza famous. Later in the evening, dinner will be at one of the amazing Michelin starred restaurants in the vicinity of BelSentiero.
This will be the last full day of your Tuscan Food & Wine Experience. We will start the day with a visit to the olive oil museum in Seggiano where you will also taste some of the local DOP certified olive oil. Thereafter, we will have an extended BBQ on the veranda with its magnificent views over the Val d'Orcia valley. All while enjoying some of the great wines of Tuscany!
After breakfast we will return you to Rome Fiumicino airport. We will aim to arrive at the airport by 12h00 so flights should only be booked from 15h00 onwards.
WHAT IS INCLUDED :
Your Tuscan Food & Wine Experience includes the following:
- 7 nights at BelSentiero;
- Ground transportation;
- Services of English speaking guide;
- Cooking lessons;
- Wine Tastings;
- All meals at BelSentiero and village café.
Not included are the following:
- Flights to/ from Rome Fiumicino/ Italy;
- Insurance (recommended);
- Meals outside of BelSentiero;
- Beverages outside of tastings/ lessons;
- Optional gratuities
See what past guests have said about our Food & Wine Experience tour:
TOUR DETAILS :
- Location: Val d'Orcia, southern Tuscany
- Dates of next tours:
- 17 May - 24 May 2020
- 21 June - 28 June 2020
- 12 July - 19 July 2020
- 6 Sept - 13 Sept 2020
- Tour price: €1,900 per person sharing
- Optional single supplement: €600
PRIVATE TOUR OPTION :
- Private Tours are available to book with your own group on any date you choose, given guide and accommodation availability
- Tour Price (7 nights): €1,900 per person sharing (€600 single supplement)
- Minimum: 4 people
- Customizations to the itinerary are possible but may entail additional fees
- Please note – Our pricing is based on double occupancy accommodation. If upon finalizing your private trip, your group has a solo traveler in a room without a roommate, the single supplement becomes mandatory.